Hormones got you down? Here are some basics to getting your hormones out of wack and back on track! (I love a good rhyme)
Every body is individual and some hormone imbalances go much deeper but this is a good start!
1. SUPPORT YOUR LIVER & DETOX PATHWAYS, this is absolutely critical for hormone balancing. Our livers are responsible for regulating sex hormones, thyroid hormones, and adrenal hormones. It removes excess hormones from the body, if the liver is not able to do this physical and emotional symptoms will arise. Make sure you are sweating everyday and having at least one bowel movement, while also doing other liver detox methods. NO I am not talking about those fad juice cleanses or other “detoxes” on the market, those will only cause more harm than good.
2. BALANCE YOUR BLOOD SUGAR! When we talk about balanced hormones we are talking about safety. Our body wants to feel safe and we can do that by not making our bodies guess when it will be having its next meal. Eat at the same times everyday and always combine protein and carb together, never consume alone!
3. EAT YOUR CARBS! Now that we know how important the liver is for regulating hormones, guess what! The liver runs on glucose and what do carbs do? They turn into glucose to be used as fuel by our body! Ditch the low carb diet, it’s not doing you any favors.
4. EAT & MOVE ACCORDING TO YOUR CYCLE! Our hormones fluctuate during the month and depending on what hormone is more dominant will determine how we feel, how much we should be eating and how we should move. There is a reason you could eat an army and run a marathon some days and others you’d rather Netflix and chill. It’s a matter of listening, understanding and embracing it.
5. GET YO’ MINERALS IN CHECK! Girlfriend, hormones require A LOT of nutrients and minerals to function. If you are mineral deficient your metabolism will suffer and you will only be running at a solid 50%. A mineral balancing protocol is KEY to getting those hormones in check. This is why I require all my clients to get a HTMA lab, it’s crucial to see what we are working with on a cellular level.
6. DON’T OVER-EXERCISE & STOP UNDER-EATING! Proper fuel and rest is absolutely critical before, during and after a workout and no I am not talking active rest days or protein shakes or any of that nonsense. I am talking real nourishing food and days of complete rest and relaxation without the guilt.
7. LIGHT THERAPY, get your booty outside or start incorporating red light therapy if you can’t get outside. Getting a proper amount of light everyday helps to build hormones.
8. ELIMINATE TOXINS IN YOUR LIFE, if there is one thing you can do for your hormones especially if you are estrogen dominant do this! Ditch the chemical filled cosmetics, skincare, plastics, cleaning products etc… These are all endocrine disruptors!
9. GET YOUR STRESS LEVEL UNDER CONTROL, this speaks for itself! A stressed out, unsafe body gives 2 shits about producing hormones. Reproduction is one of the first things to go out the window if you are stressed out.
10. SLEEP 8 HOURS A NIGHT & GET TO BED BY 10PM! Yup, call me a party pooper. Girl, get your ass in bed by 10pm, it’s magical! Our cortisol starts to spike again around 11pm because darkness is stressful, by getting to bed prior to this spike we will get deeper sleep. Deep sleep = happy hormones and recovery.
I know, UGH! Overwhelming huh? Nobody said getting your hormones in check was going to be easy but it is possible! You got this! I’m here for you!